Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Back to basics

Here are a couple of makes that I've completed recently from my beloved Japanese pattern books. I just want loads of good basics at the moment. A wardrobe of fancy dresses is use to me at the moment!

This first one is a short sleeve boxy shirt (Style S from 'Stylish Dress Book: Clothing for Everyday Wear'). I was so excited to finish this garment as I really took my time with the details. I french seamed the inside, finished the yoke with top stitching and took care to make neat machined button holes. Sometimes I don't have much patience for buttonholes and use thread that's too thick, or make them slightly too small, but for this shirt I made them perfectly. 

One of the driving forces in my need for perfection was the fabric. It is a spot print chambray from John Lewis. I am in love with all things denim/chambray at the moment, so payed more than I would normally like on this £8 per metre fabric (to me that is REALLY expensive). It's hard to tell in these pictures, but the buttons are silver metal shirt buttons, which make this similar in finish to a denim shirt I have from Gap.

I love this shirt! I made the medium and it fits almost perfectly. I have already worn it once and promptly became a target for baby vomit. This seems to happen a lot lately, but I can't be too sad about that. I can see myself wearing this until it falls apart, so already have another couple lined up. Next up will be white and blue toile print cotton lawn and black sheer with stars.



This next garment is a boxy dress (Style D from 'Stylish dress book - simple smocks dresses and tops'). I have had an unhealthy hankering for a simple striped dress that seems almost impossible to fulfil. Until now...

Back to John Lewis and the expensive fabric! This was also about £8 per metre I think and is a viscose stripe. It's not a clean stripe weave, it's a slightly wavy print, almost hand drawn looking. This is slightly different to what I was envisaging, but I love how it looks made up. Unlike the shirt above I didn't french seam, I stitched and overlocked, which is neat enough, but with the little sleeves rolled up looks slightly messy on the inside seam.

I added a button placket to the plain front for easy breast feeding access (something to consider with all my clothes these days) and stitched the rolled sleeves in place. I also bound the neck and hem with self made bias, as I think that this is easier and I also thought the length would be getting too short with a turned hem.


Watch out the stripes may make your eyes go funny...


I'll definitely make this again and soon. I'll probably ditch the sleeves altogether next time.

1 comment:

opportunityknits said...

Love your version of the boxy dress!