Monday, 21 April 2014

My Albion

There are a whole load of Albion's out there and this is mine!


This is more of an experiment than something I was hankering for. I want to make one for my husband, but just wanted to have a run through before tackling it, as it's quite different to my normal makes.

I did play around with this project and kind of made it up as I went along. Nothing was set in stone as far as I was concerned.

I decided that I wanted a Lilac denim, so rather than search for the perfect fabric, I bought some natural coloured heavy weight denim and dyed it myeself at home with a couple of packs of machine dye. This was not the most successful dye job and is patchy and uneven all over, but I don't care. You can't really see how uneven the colour is in the pictures, but trust me, it is! I think that pre-washing was my mistake funnily enough, as the denim creased badly once wet and picked up more colour in those areas.

Now, yellow and lilac is a colour combination that makes my mouth water. I absolutely love it! I was originally intending to line the jacket with a yellow cotton, use a yellow zip and topstitch the whole thing in yellow. This all got scrapped apart from the topstitching when I realised I might look like a childrens TV presenter! Although, now I'm starting to think it could've worked...


Soooo, after ordering the perfect yellow zip, I had to then seek out my next fave, a perfect turquoise zip. In the mean time the yellow one has joined my ever growing zip stash (maybe husband will fancy a yellow zip!).


After making a toile the changes I made to the pattern were to lop 6cms off the bottom hem and the sleeve length and scrap the pocket placements. I shaped the pockets and positioned them on the jacket just before finishing the hem. Oh yes, I also guessed the CF of the jacket and cut off the excess flap so that I could insert a central zip sans flap. I'm not sure why, but alot of indie patterns do not contain a CF reference on the pattern, which is actually quite useful, but this is only a minor gripe.


 I like to roll up my sleeves on most of my coats and this jacket is no exception!


The lining came to me as a flash of inspiration from god knows where! I was literally sitting on the floor of my sewing room trying to decide on a lining and  out of nowhere came this ticking stripe scrap, which has been in my stash for at least 10 years. Not only that, but I somehow made a magical connection with this printed cotton. As there was not enough fabric of either to do a whole lining this worked perfectly. I did not want to abandon the yellow altogether, so did a flat piping detail between the yoke and the main body. I have to say that this is the most attractive lining I have ever sewed and check out my label!


I should probably take more detailed shots to show off a bit more, but I am over this project now. Ignore any dodgy top-stitching!!!!




6 comments:

Natalie Ashman said...

Great jacket! I'm planning on tackling one myself for the summer evenings. Lilac is the perfect colour!

marilla freemantle said...

Thanks! Lilac is one of those Marmite colours (love it or hate it). Obviously I fall into the love category!

Meg said...

Wow I love that jacket made up in a lighter-weight fabric. So different! Looks like it will be a great spring coat.

Tanya said...

beautiful! and very very creative with your mods! xx

sonia freemantle said...

Jacket looks great for casual wear, looks like you had fun making it!

Jacqueline Henderson said...

Just found this -looks great fabric and pattern purchased Better late than never!