Monday, 23 June 2014

New pedal pushers

I got this amazing check fabric down the market the other week! There are actually two 5yrd pieces here in a White and Black, as well as a Navy and White. It reminded me so much of some prints I had loved from a past Topshop Unique collection that I immediately bought both pieces (and promptly left them behind due to fabric buying high and child distraction). Luckily I was seduced by a linen on my way out and the man reminded me of my blunder. I honestly don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't gone back...phew!


For those of you not familiar with Reading (where I live), there is a random fabric stall out on Wednesday mornings. It seems to sell production surplus fabrics that are all cut to approx 5yrd lengths. There is an overflowing £1 remnant table that must be sample lengths (judging by the tickets stapled to them). If you are lucky you can find 3 yard pieces, but it is an odd mish mash of cotton sateens, shirting fabrics, lycra and more all tangled together. The 5yrd pieces are roughly £1 a yard for cottons, viscose and any fine fabric, £2 a yard for linen and wools £3. No, they do not cut any of the lengths shorter! There are lots of rolls, which they do cut, which are priced as you ask and then there are a load of African wax prints. Worth a look if you're local and into sewing.

Below are images of aforementioned Topshop collection. I love the mix and scale of checks. Heaven!


It  looks as though Whistles have had a similar idea too. I love these trousers and the monochrome dressing. Not sure I can possibly look this slick, but I like the idea.


Coupled with my love for this fabric, the perfect trouser pattern appeared on ebay the other week! I have been looking for a pattern for AGES to make some summer time equivalents of these.

My faves
This grey pair are wool and too warm for now, but these have definitely earnt their keep in terms of price per wear. I bought them about 5/6 years ago from French Connection for a whopping £75 (seemed like alot of money then), but I didn't even falter, because I knew I would wear them FOREVER. Well, this is all well and good in the winter, but what about the summer? I am not a shorts kind of girl, so this longer length in a fine fabric is a good alternative.

Pattern with potential!
Look at these Whilstles trousers! They are fab and I really want them now that I have seen them.


 Instead though, I will settle for these...


I cannot believe how well the pattern matching panned out. I must confess that (partly due to the cost of the fabric) I did not spend too much time on this. The only advice I can give is to take the time to pin the 2 layers of fabric together on the first stripe at the bottom of the folded length. I do this when ever I cut stripes or checks and have a quick squiz to see that the check is pretty much lining up on the selvedge and then start pinning my pattern pieces. This has always worked out quite well for me in the past and is much quicker than cutting each piece individually.

matching behind!


Here are some cloes-ups of the print. I cut the front pockets on the bias, so that I didn't have to worry about pattern matching. This was totally inspired by Kathryn's tartan skirt. It just seemed like a good, fuss free idea that I have been storing away for a special occasion like this.


Director of photography

I finished these this morning and after photo's didn't actually take them off. I did change my shoes though as the clogs were not really relaxed garden attire...

Speaking of garden attire, I put together this bunting the other day to brighten up the lean to a bit. It is made up of crochet granny squares that I made ages ago. When I was living in Bristol and armed with a student card, I picked up a load of different coloured net strips from a recyling/arts centre. It is the edging that is left over from the production of synthetic net/tulle. I crocheted with it using a large hook and couldn't decide whether or not they should be coasters or something, but turns out they make ideal garden decorations. Yippee!

9 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Wowee!! Not only a stylish pair of trews, but in such awesome fabric! Your matching is pretty spot on! Must be from being pretty relaxed about it and it all comes together.
And your fave £75 pair of trousers/ shorts- I did exactly the same thing with a pair of fat face jeans 'culottes'. They were more expensive than I used to spend ( of course I don't buy now!) but I absolutely loved them. Sadly they are too big now, but they are *that* garment that I would be most tempted to try to rub off.....
You've kept that thought alive with these wonders!! Enjoy them!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh gosh, you should definitely give it a go. Culottes are one of my all time favourite pieces of clothing. There are some good tutorials for doing a copy of the original garment and then you could grade down a size with the slash and spread method. I did consider making a pattern, but never could quite muster the energy. Right, I'm off to make some more ;-)

charityshopchic.net said...

These are fantastic! I am in love with that fabric, what a great find. There is a similar stall at my local market where I often shop... I think she gets the samples that are sent to high street stores from the fabric manufacturers. Her stock is often much more fashionable than my local fabric stores, anyway!

Marilla Walker said...

It's so great isn't it! You do have to work hard to shop there, but it's worth it. Lots of being elbowed out the way and digging for treasure, but amazing what you can find!

Katie said...

Tres cool - they do look like they could be from Whistles! I love a big windowpane check, especially when it's matched so nicely. That fabric stall sounds quite awesome. I might be copying this silhouette, it'd be great for cycling.

Louise Perry said...

These look so great, enjoy wearing them. Perfect summer trousers.

Mum said...

Marilla, I absolutely love these trews and they suit you to a tee! They remind me of the type of trousers I used to be able to wear, when I was still petite and a lot younger..............

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Mum! xxx

marie said...

These turned out so great! I love sewing vintage patterns, but hesitate to make pants/shorts… Now you've made me want give it a go!