Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Wash with care!!!!

Disaster! Sometimes it takes me a while to learn valuable lessons, like this fabric does not wash well in the washing machine after printing!!!!


This is the second time I have done this people! The first was after screen printing the men here. Because it was screen printed, the ink penetrated well into the fabric, so although it faded in the wash, it was not a complete loss and the prints survives.


This layered print I posted yesterday did not fare quite as well. Maybe it's because it was sitting on the surface, having been stamped, and just washed away. I did fix with an iron, as instructed, but maybe not long enough. I'm not sure, but I am sure that this is now unsalvagable. I have had success with these inks (speedball screen printing) in the past, but on a tighter weave and not quite as soft and fuzzy, so maybe this is just not a good match. Oh well, you live and learn! I shall print test swatches in future to bung in the machine and also handwash, so I know what the outcome will be.

Don't worry, I'm not crying into my coffee, as this is aaaallll part of the learning process, but maybe you guys don't have to go through the same experience and can learn from my mistakes!!!

6 comments:

amanda stinton said...

Ah disaster!! I loved your print in the last post so such a shame it didn't survive! I'm off to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC on Saturday so hoping to get some inspiration/supplies then.

Nancy said...

I have to tell you, I love the disaster fabric!

Marilla Walker said...

Have fun at the NEC Amanda!

Marilla Walker said...

It's very deceptive Nancy! Although the real life fabric looks awful it photographs very well. I just don't understand it!!!

beassewingadventures said...

I'm learning from this... Iron hot for a long long time!

I just got a set of fabric paints today, so I could get some practice in before I work on the real thing. I suspect that nothing in my house will be safe from being turned into a printing stamp!

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Bea, I look forward to seeing what you come up with, sounds like you're feeling creative. Vegetables beware! :-)