Sunday, 21 September 2014

Maya pattern release soon!

For those of you who don't know, I have been working on a dress making pattern for the last few months. I can't tell you how excited I am about this. Well actually it's a mixture of excitement and nerves really, but no pain no gain and all that!


It has been my wish to design in some capacity for a while now, but I have struggled with finding a suitable outlet or path to channel this ambition. I graduated from a fashion and textiles degree several years ago now (ok, more than several) and kind of got caught up with needing to pay bills and not being able to explore working in a creative field and it's not until now that I am open to the possibilty that this could happen. So that's what I am doing. I really want to produce dress patterns that I would be happy wearing and that I would return back to again and again. Basically, I am designing clothes that I would be happy to have in my wardrobe!

Here is a taster of how this pattern looks made up!


I have called this pattern Maya referring back to my Central American heritage. My mum and her family are from Belize and my great grandmother was a Mayan Indian, so there you go! The style also has alot in common with traditional central American dress, as like the Huipil it is wide and loose. It has a kimono cap sleeve with a wide neck and a load of variations in lengths and plain or button front. If you want a basic, easy woven tee or a basic dress that can be dressy or casual then this is the pattern for you!

I shall explain more about the pattern and provide a few more pics when it is released in a couple of weeks time. I am aiming to have it released on Monday the 6th October. I would have released it sooner, but I am away the week before, so figure that would be the worst idea ever!

Anyway, I'm not sure what to expect from this, but I'm hoping that if I like it then someone else will! If it's a slow grower then that's fine and if it's a mega success then brilliant, but if it's a massive flop then at least I tried!

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Great effort Marilla,I'm sure all of your hard work will pay off. I love the branding you've gone with and think the patterns are great. Very wearable pieces that I'm sure other people will love making and wearing just like you do. Can't wait to see more photos of made-up garments and the finished pattern article, it's all super exciting!! Are you introducing it as a paper pattern or PDF download?
Well done my lovely xxxxx

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on taking that courageous step. Well done and good luck!

Lindsay said...

Wishing you lots of success! I've just released my first pattern, so I know how much work goes into it, and it's pretty terrifying to release it to the world. It's such a great creative outlet though. And if you love it, you can be sure that there'll be others who will too!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks love! Well, I'm just going to go with my gut and my heart and see where it takes me. It'll just be a PDF for now to see how it goes. Might not be worth pursuing as paper if no-one buys it!!! I'm completely inspired by you and Rhian going out and starting up your own paths. It's made me re-visit the idea actually. Keep doing what you're doing! Xxx

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Stephanie! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Lindsay! I've seen a few versions of your dress already and LOVE it! Wishing you lots of success back, but it looks like it's already a winner! Xxx

wethesewing said...

Yay! looks really, really great and very comfortable. I'm sure it'll be a great success :)

JustSew Jenna said...

I am very excited for you!! Well done on all your hard work!

helen siddon said...

This is all very exciting! The pattern is looking great, a real wardrobe staple. Good luck with the launch! X

amanda stinton said...

Well done it looks great- soo exciting!! Love the branding too- especially your hand printed background! I hope it goes well so that you can release lots more patterns. I did a textile design degree too and know what you mean about finding it hard to find an outlet for your creativity- good luck!xx

Sara said...

Very nice design! Well done! I imagine it was a lot of work, though honestly, I have no idea ;) The packaging looks great too. It's really you. I wish you all the best with this project.