Saturday, 4 October 2014

Holiday wardobe

I have just returned home from a week away in Dorset with my husband and two children and wanted to review my holiday wardrobe and also show you what I packed!

If the idea of this bores you rigid then click away now, but I find it really interesting how my 'holiday' wardrobe works. The way I dress when I'm away differs slightly from how I dress at home and I enjoy the challenge of taking as little as possible.

At home my style can be quite eclectic and definitely depends on my mood. I seem to have different clothes personalities for different occasions/days, so am not too rigid about sticking to a specific style. On holiday, it's all about the comfort and the versatility of the components!

Here are photos of what got worn!


The success/failure of my holiday wardrobe definitely hinged on my black skirt and jeans. I always seem to stick to a favourite pair of trousers when away, so it's pointless taking more than one pair as I'm unlikely to chop and change. Risky, but in this case it worked out!

How I wore it!


Try not to look too closely at day three and home day, as I look a right scruff bag!

This is most definitely one of my most successful packs to date. I probably could have scaled down slightly on the tops and I did end up with some unworn stuff (listed below) but overall, not too bad! I shall be using this formula in the future for sure. Basically a couple of bottoms, a mix of tops, a couple of dresses and some cardis and jobs a good'n!

Ok, so if you know my makes, then you probably know how much I like stripes!

Just for my own amusement really, here's a totally stripey outfit that I didn't actually wear...


Dolores meets japanese shirt dress. I only wish I had some stripey tights to complete the look!

If you're still here and interested then here is a list of what I packed...
  1. Hand stitched jeans
  2. Gap skirt
  3. Japanese striped dress
  4. Maya dress
  5. Dolores top x 2
  6. Maya cropped front top
  7. Japanese hand printed top
  8. Hemlock tee
  9. Maya blouse
  10. Cos wool cardigan
  11. Cos merino jumper - not photographed or worn
  12. Toast thick jumper - not photographed or worn
  13. Merino Gap cardigan
  14. Accessories including 2 belts, 2 bags and tights
  15. Shoes including flat sandals, brogue trainers and dark brown clogs - clogs not photographed or worn
  16. Albion coat
  17. Toast coat - not photographed or worn
You are welcome to use my (completely unscientific) 'holiday' formula for yourself if you like!

5 comments:

fabrickated.com said...

I find this a fascinating topic and did a similar post myself. I offered my formulae which was way more complex until my daughter simplified it to something close to yours.

Just off to pack for five days in Romania on a work trip in a tiny carry on....

Marilla Walker said...

Ha ha, it can get very mind boggling if you over think it, but you never wear as much as you think you're going to! Have fun in Romania!

Sara said...

Very nice and effective mix-and-match travel wardrobe! That shibori Maya dress looks amazing!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Sara, I'll post more details about the shibori soon! Really easy and quick!

JustSew Jenna said...

Really efficient packing there! I hope you had a lovely holiday xx