Sunday, 16 November 2014

NEW coat pattern - coming soon!

Hiya, I have been knee deep in coat samples lately and busy working on my next pattern release. I have mentioned on numerous occasions that I actually have two coat patterns in the works, but this is the first one to be near completion!


It is a coat and jacket with large proportions and room for bulky winter clothes and has a cocoon type sihouette. The feature I'm most excited about, (but can't be seen here) is the in built underarm gusset, which just makes construction a little bit more interesting and also allows you to lift your arms up (kind of important). It is hard to explain, but the gusset is designed as an extension of the front sleeve that wraps around to the back under the arm.

I have been through so many finishes and details, but have finally decided on the two views as shown above.

View A is a coat that finishes just above the knee, has veeery roomy welt pockets, wide sleeves that are cropped to just above the wrist and a popper front fastening. Think large poppers!

View B is a shorter version of the coat, but with a narrower full length sleeve that is finished off with deep ribbed cuffs and has a zip front fastening. My version of a bomber jacket!

Here are some happy snappies of my coat sample. I went for a bold houndstooth wool in keeping with the large proportions I mentioned just now. This stuff is snuggly as anything I can tell you.



These are the pretty insides. The main outer shell is underlined with a medium weight fabric for added warmth and all seams are bound with bias tape, so you can be proud to reveal your insides.


Here's a peek at my 'in progress' jacket sample. Quilting tip: use pinstripe fabric as underlining and use the stripes as a guide for quilting.


Lastly, here's a brief look at images that have been fuelling my coatspiration lately!



I'm really looking forward to telling you more about the coat. It is currently off for testing and should be ready mid-December (probably the worst timing with christmas and all). Can't wait!

13 comments:

Kirsty said...

I just adore view b! can't wait.

helen siddon said...

It's looking fabulous, I really like the quilting on the sleeve, a really interesting take on the bomber jacket!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah, thanks for the positive comments on the jacket ladies! I really like this style, but wasn't sure if it would appeal, but this gives me hope!

biz said...

too cute!

Meg said...

Ooh this is an exciting first glimpse! And I'm super curious to see view B made up!

Caroline said...

Awesome. I love your oversized dogtooth print / weave on your coat. Its amazing! That fabric was my top choice for the 1960's coat I'm making now but I was too worried about pattern matching that I went for a textured herringbone instead.
I think this pattern will be even more popular than the Maya!!
Nice work Marilla x

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Caroline! It's pretty massive and would look awful if not matched at the centre front, but the rest is just matched across the rows and looks fine I think!

wethesewing said...

Love, love, love!!!! I can see the cocoon one being lovely as an oversized cardi as well. So cool Marilla!! Keep em coming :) Btw, I would have totally signed up to be a tester had I not a huge project to write before christmas.. Next time though!

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Ingrid, well you know I would have loved that, but didn't ask you personally as I assumed you already had too much on with your studies! I would love it if you could test the next one (time permitting of course) xxx

amanda stinton said...

Another gorgeous pattern!!! Cant wait for you to release it

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks lovely!

Melissa said...

Wow, you are so talented! First one pattern then followed so quickly by another!

The coat reminds me of one my grandmother had and I had as a hand-me-down years later. Dunno what's happened to it. Which makes me think about making yours though I am still coming up to speed on my sewing skills.

Looking forward to seeing more of the coats/jackets!

Sara said...

It's gorgeous Marilla! Seeing it unlined, I'm thinking it would make a wonderful Spring coat. Great work! I'm very curious to know what the second coat will look like.