Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Stretch cotton Evan skirt

Spring is here and tights are off! I love dressing for winter, but there is something so satisfying about being able to wear dresses and skirts without tights!

This Evan skirt is one of my pre-final pattern samples. The only difference from the final pattern is the length of the split. This one's a little shorter and more modest by about an inch or two. I have also put belt loops on this one, which I have left off of the line drawings for view A.


I have already worn this quite a lot with navy tights and a cropped jumper, but love how it looks with my watermelon printed top from last year (another pre-final pattern sample from the Maya pattern). This is the outfit I'm wearing now, so I thought I'd take a few quick pics.


The fabric for this skirt came from my lovely friend Lucy and is ex-barbour. She also sent me the cotton drill for my Freemantle/Maya coat mash up. It is a really vivid dark turquoise in real life, but the colour keeps getting sapped from the photos for some reason and I'm not good enough to know how to adjust any settings. It is quite thick and feels like it contains a good amount of spandex, as it has good stretch and recovery. Lucy thinks it would have been used for jegging type trousers, so it's good stuff!


It is quite difficult to sew the pintuck details on the pockets on a fabric of this thickness, but on the other hand they are highlighted quite well. The stretch did make this a little difficult to sew and my topstitching is not going to win awards here, but overall it is a great skirt and nobody is going to get that close anyway.


Yay for spring and summer and being able to have bare legs again. These clogs are out of hiding again and it's time to pack away the feather down coat and big boots (did I speak too soon?).


I hope everyone else is getting some positive energy from the sudden turn in the weather. I shall close with one last picture of my behind just to show off those pintucks a bit more.... Ta ta for now x

9 comments:

helen siddon said...

Really love the colour of this one! I finally finished mine today, spurred on by the sunshine, it's going to get a lot of wear over the coming months! X

Caroline said...

Love the pin-tuck detailing x super chic x

JustSewJenna said...

I think this is my favourite one so far! I love the colour, it looks fab with that top. If it ever needs reing I will offer my services to look after it for you!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ladies, time to get those legs out! ;-)

Kathryn said...

That fabric looks gorgeous & I love those details on the pockets. It's amazing how much a bit of sunshine can change your energy levels isn't it?! Here's hoping the sunshine, and energy, stick around!

Pips said...

Love the details on the pockets! Xx

pootleandmake said...

Beautiful colour.

R said...

Help, I'm stuck on the pocket trim. I've done my pin tucks and sewn the two pieces together. But I'm not sure how to:
 "Pin the pocket trim facing to the pocket trim right sides together and sew a 1cm seam on the outside edge."
What do I line up where to manage this step?
Thanks
R

Marilla Walker said...

Hi R, I left a comment on your blog suggesting that you email me and we can talk easier. Did you get it?