Monday, 1 June 2015

Apron dress and apron

I am loving all the pinafore everything that is about at the moment! I loved wearing dungarees and apron dresses when I was a teenager and have not really lost my affection for such things as I've gotten older. There is a dress in 'Stylish dress book - simple smocks, dresses and tops' which I have been eyeing for a while and was recently reminded of it when I saw Anna's version on Instagram. I had previously seen it made up by Maddie (very cute) and then promptly forgot to make it!

So here it is...


It is dress G in case you are wondering and it is super quick to make! I traced the pattern and cut my fabric on Saturday night and whipped it together within an hour of sewing last night.

It is loose through the body and was even a bit baggy under the arm until I removed a 1" wedge either side, but oh so comfy. I had an almost identical summer dress until very recently that was essential on very hot summer days. It was even a similar print and colour, so maybe that's why I subconsciously reached for this fabric!!!

No fastenings or tricky finishes makes this a breeze and totally suited to both thicker and thinner fabrics. Obviously I am imagining denim and cord, but maybe Linen or something more slinky would work too. Ooh, that's a good idea for a loose, posh occasion dress.

I made the length as per the pattern, but personally I would like to go either shorter or ankle length. I think the loose, beltless look is better without a top underneath.


I love the back strap shape!


There's also a cheeky back pocket for pocket lovers!


Some more pictures of the back and beltless look.



I think there's a lot of fun to be had with the length and fabric choice and I'm keen to make up some winter versions to wear with some shirts and thick tights. Makes me excited about winter sewing (behave).

Whilst I was in an apron/pinny type mood I cut and made up a really simple apron to protect my clothes when I'm printing. Too many accidents have prompted the need for one. I originally had an idea to make one like this, but new I would take an age to get around to making a pattern. It would also have used considerably more fabric, so I opted for a simple rectangle with bib shaping to the top. Pretty standard, but cute!


The linen I used is a beautiful duck egg green and cream stripe with heavy embroidery on the green (hard to make out). It is probably way too good for what I'm going to use it for, but it was 50p from a car boot sale and the only suitable weight in my stash that I was willing to sacrifice. I only used half, so have half to stroke, but it's a bit too fancy for me really anyway. I'm kind of glad to just get on and use it for something, even if it will get covered in dye!



Does anyone else just love how aprons look with jeans???



So, no signs of me easing up on the bib front sewing, but I'm enjoying myself so don't care! I hope you're enjoying sewing too! x

16 comments:

amanda stinton said...

More gorgeous makes- I just wonder when you find to sleep?!? :)

teridodds said...

I love the dress so much! The fabric is amazing and I love how you paired it with the striped tee. Your apron is really fun, too. I only have half aprons and I really need one that covers my top half, too.

Melissa said...

Oh, these are so cute! I love pinafores too but I don't have one. I remembered a denim one I had in my 20's and wearing it a lot during summers! Time to put that on my list. I need an apron too! Thanks for the inspirations, Marilla! You are sewing up a storm!

Louise Perry said...

Both makes are awesome. Love the pinafore so much.

Jeanette Archer said...

Love the blue pinny, that fabric is ace, I wish I could wear this style, it looks great on you. x

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for the pinafore love ladies!

Jeanette - I still have that cloth kits one to sew up. I may use this dress pattern as a handy guide to check if it will fit! Xxx

Sewingsu said...

Oooooooh i want one! Both look fab but i love the pinafore dress!

hjr88 said...

This is so lovely, the shaping of the back if perfect. I found that pinafore dresses are so perfect for all seasons and haven't been able to stop making them since!

Nicole from PudgeAndNico.com said...

I am IN LOVE with those back straps! I am starting to want to steal everything you make, or at the very least just straight-up copy it!

sewalign said...

I am a fan of the pinafore dress (having made the Abigail Dress) - your pinafore dress is lovely and I like the relaxed fit, which makes it cool and airy for the summer. The back straps are a great design feature. I am thinking about buying the book for this pattern!

Roobeedoo said...

Ooh! Reminds me very strongly of a dress I owned in 1985 which I wore and wore and wore some more! Lovely!

englishgirlathome.com said...

Love them both - no doubt that fabric will get lots of wear in apron form, so it sounds like a good use to me. Sew Me Something have a pattern (Beatrice Pinafore) similar to the apron design you were considering: http://www.sewmesomething.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=11785&prodID=87140&mprodID=54025

lulubelleh said...

I didn't realise so many of those Japanese books had been published in English! Oh dear, I feel a purchase coming on! Love your blog, btw. I've been following you on Instagram for a while. Really like your fabric printing. It's something I've been meaning to get round to for a few years now. x

gingermakes.com said...

Oh wow, I love the print you used for your pinafore! It's so very cool! I love the back straps, too- what a great look!

Anonymous said...

The word pinafore for me really means a style of apron not so much a dress. A pinafore or "pinny" as sometimes called brings back memories of my childhood when I wore a "frilly" pinafore over my dresses. Now, a pinafore is a style of apron usually with ruffles on the bib and sometimes the hem. And,yes, I do wear pinafores (aprons) of this style but also plainer more functionable styles like, http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/catalog.php?item=266 and http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/catalog.php?item=40 . Lovely post. Grace.

Anonymous said...

I love wearing a pinafore. I wear a pinny in the morning to do the housework and always in the kitchen. As soon as I go into the kitchen, I don my pinafore, it would be unthinkable not to do so. A waist apron would only protect my skirt but when at the sink or the cooker I need the bib of a pinny to keep my blouse clean, so I have not worn a waist apron for years. I have several pinafores, which are pretty, feminine and practical. My best pinafore is pink and white with ruffles on the bib and at the hem, it also has crossover straps at the back which are much more comfortable than a loop at the neck. Sarah