Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Best trousers ever!

No word of a lie, these are not only the best trousers I have ever made, but they are the perfect style for me which makes the painful experience of tracing from a Burda pattern sheet totally worth while!


These are made up from a really lovely culottes pattern from this years April Burda magazine and have got the volume that I love in a wide leg trouser and also the deep pleats at the front which help to cover my not so flat anymore tum. I don't even normally buy Burda magazine, but as fate would have it this issue happened to be in my local Sainsbury's and I really wanted to try this cover pattern. It has not been stocked before or since, so it was definitely 'meant to be'. ;-)


Burda patterns, for those who haven't come across them before, are all on one big sheet in the middle of the magazine. All lines overlap and I have yet to decipher how they are arranged on each sheet. Luckily, as the cover pattern, the pattern pieces were relatively easy to locate and highlighted in pink. It took me a while to discover that the pocket pattern piece was on the trouser leg and that I had to draw the fly shield and waistband myself, but not too painless a task. I don't mind putting a bit of work in as Burda are supplying us with a great amount of patterns each month for just £4.99 an issue!

Size wise I fell into the largest of the standard sizes, so traced the 44. I was expecting all sorts of fit issues like too much ease or something, but as you can see these fit like a dream. Lucky really as I didn't toile and I cut straight into my 'good fabric'. The fabric is a really drapey pale chambray that I bought on a recent meet-up in Walthamstow. When  bought it I thought it was mainly cotton, but it's too drapey and silky. It must have some man made fibre or maybe viscose in it, but it's a dream to work with and as it turns out perfect trouser material! It was only £3 a metre and I used pretty much the whole 2 metres in these trousers.

I had to stand on this little table for you to see them properly. I did a deep hem of 5" to make them a suitable length for me, so these come out looong!


I don't normally like to show off my backside, but look at the fit and the drape of the fabric!!! I feel like one of those 1930's beach babes! One thing to note about this pattern is the extraordinarily long bum darts. I halved mine, because they were running down my leg otherwise which just seemed weird.

 
 
The instructions are always really criticised I've noticed for Burda patterns, but I didn't use them, ha! To be fair there is a lot more detail on this particular pattern being the featured pattern of the issue, so it may not be quite so devilish to figure out. Inseam pockets, fly front fastening and deep pleats are the main features.


Lots of lovely fabric in the legs!


I plan to make at least one more pair for now in this black and white ikat spot drapey fabric (viscose?). I'm rubbish with anything that isn't cotton, silk, wool or linen I must admit. I only bought 1.5 metres, so may need to shorten them or take out some volume from the back leg, but these will be awesome!


For the waistband and any straight waistband I make I always insert this rigid tape stuff. I don't know what it's called, but it's in any haberdashers and just gives structure to a garment. The trousers didn't really come together until the waistband was complete and this is part of the success of this make as they basically hang from the waistband like a curtain hangs from a curtain pole. For the right garment a straight waistband can be brilliant. FYI, this is narrower than the one I actually used, but just gives you an idea.


The experience has certainly been positive and has not scared me off of trying Burda again. What about you, do you shy away from it or love Burda magazines?

17 comments:

saralasarta said...

Lovely trousers! This is totally your style!

Minnado said...

Those are fabulous trousers. Love the 30s photo. I like Burda but don't often sew them. I've got a stash of Ottobre mags so tend to always use those.BTW I recently sewed your Sailor top, and love it!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ladies and these are so totally my style! Nautical, check! Wide leg, check! Chambray, check! ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Oh Minnado, just saw your sailor top and I love it BTW! Thanks for giving it a go. Xxx

Noelle said...

Wow. Totally gorgeous fit! Lovely trousers.

Melissa said...

Fantastic job, Marilla! They look great on you. It's wonderful when you find a perfect fit!

I have one Burda magazine (it's hard to find over here) and although there is at least one thing I want to try (a blouse) I have not had the energy to tackle the tracing!

Bettina said...

Your outfit is really cool!
I do not use Burda very often. I find it less tiring develop the pattern by myself, but in this case it was well worth the effort! The trousers fit you very well ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ladies!

Melissa - I am really considering buying the Individual PDF's from the Burdastyle site for future patterns to cut out the tracing. The crazy map of lines is completely mind boggling :-P

Louise Perry said...

These are very flattering. Completely understand why you plan on more of these. Smashing!

Elizabeth Made This said...

Wow, what a beautiful back fit. I have to take off about 5" from typical Burda pants too. Still, I love Burda's style and fit, so I've learned to love tracing. Their jackets in particular are so unique. I'm glad you found a style that you love!

Scruffybadger said...

Oh I do love them too!!!! The style really suits you, absolutely glorious to see culottes being done so well 😀

Roobeedoo said...

Those are fantastic! I saw your "trailer" on Instagram and have come to the library today to catch up on blog reading :) They are even wider than the Strides I just made and look much better from the back. Fab!

Thewallinna said...

You are a few steps ahead of me (or I am a few steps behind) in terms of sewing projects. This pair of culottes as well as the jacket from this Burda Style cover, are on my list. Now, that I received some nice linen from the Tessuti shop, I am ready to start working on them :)

The more variations of these culottes I seem the more I like them, and your pair is not an exception. Also, I have to say that your bottom looks great in them. Hurry up to sew the second pair!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks ladies!

I love your strides roobeedoo. They're a more 1930's style Katherine Hepburn style, which I love!

Inna, can't wait to see what you produce (as always) xxx

JustSewJenna said...

They are amazing!! I have never sewn from a burda magazine but I think its because I am too lazy firstly for the complicated tracing and secondly from confusing instructions! Maybe one day though!

sewalign said...

These culottes are so classy and the fit is fantastic! You look great wearing them. I have made my second pair of Burda Style culottes and will publish this post on my blog tomorrow.

Marilla Walker said...

Oh cool, I'll keep an eye out for your post! I was worried that the fabric might be too plain on these for everyday and therefore a grime magnet, but they have been soooo good and I wish I had a whole roll of this lovely fabric!!!