Wednesday, 26 August 2015

New pattern in the works!

I have been working on several things lately. Some which are still under wraps and some which are not. For ages I was working on a new shirt dress pattern and a coat. Not a traditional button front shirt dress, but a loose flowy shape with some signature details such as a back yoke and pleat. I was working on it for so long however that I somehow lost my way and after a forced break from it to decorate the sewing room I returned with a lot less enthusiasm for the general concept. I figure a further break may do it good! It has also allowed me to return to an idea that I started working on a few months ago for a pinafore dress and jumpsuit pattern. The jumpsuit was less of the idea I'll admit, but since making my Maya/Hudson mash-up it has jumped (ha ha) to the front of the queue! Following on from that make I immediately started drafting a pattern and it forced me to digitise my trouser block (I am digitising my blocks as I'm working as I find the whole process of drafting straight onto the computer so much easier now and space friendly). Trousers were definitely way down my list of priorities as it's not one of those garments I generally feel I look that nice in!

Here's some of my inspiration I've been collecting over the past year. I prefer a loose silhouette with a free waist and baggy, but slightly tapered trouser legs.







The pattern I'm working on will provide pattern pieces for a jumpsuit, dungarees, dungaree dress and woven t-shirt that all co-ordinate to form a capsule collection (hopefully). It's been one of the things I've dreamed of doing and it's hard  to get everything working together whilst also keeping the pattern pieces to a minimum, but I'm happy with how it's going so far.

Anyway, lots of sampling, tweaking and long hours are hopefully not going to waste and I'm dead chuffed with how it all looks. I'm really proud of this one in the works and I can't wait to show you more, which is a bit of a contrast from the feeling I was getting from the shirt dress thingy!

More to come soon!!!! (well, a few weeks from now) ;-)

20 comments:

Meg said...

Super excited to see what you've come up with!!

Roobeedoo said...

Very excited to see this pattern emerge!
I have been fiddling around trying to devise the perfect shirt-dress for myself too, but I always overcomplicate things by adding too many details. To be honest, Maya is pretty much perfect for me - I just need to add longer sleeves for winter. And find decent warmer fabric. Now there's the trickiest thing of all!

Kestrel said...

Sounds exciting, look forward to finding out more

Melissa said...

Oh wow, I love that dress one in the last photo. Pinafore style? I can just see it in washed linen! Yes! So looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

ps I echo Roobeedoo's comment about the Maya. I would love to be able to add a long sleeve version to it too. Perhaps you could do a tutorial or something? Thanks!

Louise Perry said...

You had me at loose waist! Real hat feeling trapped round the middle. Lived in pinafores \ siren suits as a child!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for the positivity ladies and lovely comments about the Maya. Thank you so much!

Roobeedoo and Melissa, if you click the maya pattern link on the right of this web page it should take you to a page which links directly to a maya with sleeves. I actually think it would be better to use sleeves from an existing pattern for better drape, but it's there if you would like to give it a go!

Louise - fitted waists are a no for me. I like to relax my tummy too much! ;-)

Bellbird said...

So exciting! The variations all sound so good.

saralasarta said...

Can't wait to see the results! The capsule concept sounds very promising :) I'm working on my second Ilsley and meditating on Maya and Alice for my autumn wardrobe. Enjoy the final stretch of your work ;)

Sewingsu said...

It all sounds very exciting! I can't wait to see it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilla! My first time to comment here, that sounds so exciting! Im a beginner sewist but I have printed off your sailor top and ilsely skirt patterns...im planning a matching outfit in a navy/white polka dot knit.( I love your blog!) All the best, Roberta

Rachel said...

This sounds exciting. I think the concept of releasing a pattern offering a capsule wardrobe is such a good idea. Now I can't wait to see the finished result!

Fabrickated said...

I am the opposite. I can't stand not having a belt or some waist definition. However I love the look you are going for here. What an exciting project.

jane said...

this sounds amazing! will be looking forward to it!!

Fiona Parker said...

I love the sound of this Marilla, can't wait to see the completed pattern!

Heather Gibson said...

I'm excited to see what you come up with! I'm loving the sneak peaks on instagram!

sewalign said...

I am really looking forward to seeing your jumpsuit and pinafore patterns - a great idea. Like you, I prefer the loose waist look. So exciting!

Caroline said...

Very exciting news about the new pattern. You are a super talented lady x

rosylea said...

Very excited to hear about your next project, it sounds exactly what I've been looking for, especially a dungaree dress and other options. I've been attempting some creative experiments with an existing jumpsuit pattern with only limited success.

The Wardrobe Project said...

Ohhhh exciting! Can't wait for this!

Lisa said...

Very exciting! Love the idea of a capsule collection. And that blue one above is divine! Though what's up with that unfinished hem?