Sunday, 23 August 2015

New sewing space!

I have not moved rooms exactly, but we have sorted out our back room downstairs where I normally sew and cleared the junk out, decorated and actually bought new furniture. I have not owned that much new furniture in my life time or ever had a sewing room, so this is pretty big and exciting!!!

Anyway, come and have a look and I'll show you round.

This is my sewing corner...


and this is my cutting/computer area. Everything tidies away really easily to give me room for cutting and I am loathed to get down on the floor now.

 
You can basically buy this room in Ikea as I hate shopping around and they had everything to fulfil my needs. The chairs at my sewing table and the trolley with the basket on are all car booted, but other than that it is exclusively Ikea! Even easier if you want to borrow any ideas is that most of it is Algot storage!
 
 
The best bit about sorting this room out is that I am finally able to display all the junk treasure that I have been hoarding for so long and that my husband keeps trying to get rid of. Those pink silk satin shoes are tiny, but they are original Schiaparelli (charity shop bargain) so I cannot let go of them.
 

Vintage sewing books next to new and some random coffee cups because I like the design (I don't drink coffee). The shelving is Algot as mentioned before.


More Algot, but this time baskets. These are the most brilliant last minute additions. I just tagged them on at the end of our order (home delivery) because I thought I should try and squeeze as much storage as was humanly possible without being too cluttered and they have been invaluable. They hold my paper patterns, rolls of grease proof, sewing machine manuals/accessories, rulers, overlock threads and a few other bits. Handy huh?


This hanging area sits in the middle of the shelving and again is an Algot accessory. I custom selected all the elements of this wall shelving as I wanted it to have deep shelved for books, shallow top shelves for trinkets and also hanging space for samples and patterns I'm working on. It is a dream come true!


Algot wire mesh drawers under the sewing table for tidily storing WIP's and also holding my large PDF folders.


They are A3 plastic sleeve folders that have a sheet of card inserted into each sleeve to stop them being all floppy. I fold my PDF patterns after using them and pop them in. The card inserts also mean that I can have two patterns stored per sleeve because the card separates them.


Here's the machines. I have had these felt place mats for ages and they are too big for our table, but they are perfect for plonking my machines on and allow me to slide them back and forward easily. I need to push everything back and keep sharp things high away from little people at all times.


I get to listen to my radio again! I love my radio so much and used to have it on all the time before we moved into this house over a year and a half ago. It was in the kitchen, but we are really low on plug sockets, so the hassle of unplugging stuff stopped from reaching for the button, but it's back! I keep a little threads and snips bowl next to my machine as the bin is next to my cutting table and this helps to keep things clean.


My cutting table is on a dark side of the room, so extra light is very much needed. This angle poise lamp was about £2 from a table top sale a long time ago and it's brilliant!


This table is like an untold secret that I have since learnt is really common amongst fellow sewists. It has adjustable legs, so goes up really high and is so comfortable for cutting. I sit at this table all the time and love it so much. It is the Linnmon/Finnvard and was an absolute bargain at only £70. I have it on the highest setting and have a bar stool to sit on with some steps to rest my feet on. I need the steps to reach some of the shelves, but mostly use them as a foot rest.


I have discovered some pattern weights in the big clear out in the form of James old weights. Yay!


Organisers from John Lewis that I bought with some vouchers a few years ago. They were too nice for me really and got lost in the mess, but now they fit right in.


Basket of fabric next to the cutting table of things I would like to be cutting next. There is no real order here, just hope!


My real fabric stash is in our newly decorated utility room. We bought this house because it had decent downstairs space. It needed work, but that meant it was in our price range. The utlity room was previously a manky old disabled bathroom. It was in a bad way, but is a great size and now has ample storage for all my fabric. These next shots aren't pretty, but I'm keeping it real!



So, that's it. I hope you enjoyed looking around. I have to say I am so impressed with Ikea and the prices are unbelievable really. I was saying to James earlier that there isn't a single thing I would change in here. I've been using this space for about a month now and it is so efficient and lovely to walk into. I haven't tidied for the photos, this is how it always is, which if I'd been brave enough to show you my old space, you'd know this is miraculous! Storage is everything it seems and I think I now have the courage to say if it doesn't fit it hasn't got a place here. Ask me in a year if I have stuck to that!

13 comments:

Caroline said...

Hey lady that looks brilliant.
Bet you are well chuffed to have such a lovely and well planned space for sewing now. I must say it looks mighty professional having your pattern blocks hung on hooks like that. Such a nice touch. It must be fab to have your inspirational 'bits and bobs' around you for those momentary day-dream distractions.
Awesome x

SewRuthie said...

Absolutely great sewing space. Thanks for all the ideas.

Minnado said...

Oh, so lovely. I like all the storage and organisation. I smiled at the treasure/ junk display, I have had to hide most of mine away as I cannot get it high up enough to be away from curious three year old hands! I have that Roberts radio, love it. Your space looks so calm and tempting to use. I am jealous but in the nicest way!

Sew little time said...

Lovely! I can't wait to have mine sorted out. The plumber is coming today to sort out the dodgy pipework we found when we ripped the old utility and sink out so it might be coming sooner rather than later!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks so much ladies, I am so in love with this space like I've never loved a space before! I even want to sleep down here (but I don't) ;-)

Jo - I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see what you do with your space. It's the best thing to be able to select storage and furniture purely for sewing (and a total luxury) xxx

JustSewJenna said...

It looks lovely! I think I may get some of those shelves or the baskets to hang above my desk, I am short of that kind of storage. I dream of having a cutting table again! Xx

Fabrickated said...

I was really quite old (40+) before I bought new furniture - prior to that it had been family cast off, charity shop and skip finds and home made stuff. I really felt grown up.

Your room looks so inviting. I love the light colours - very refreshing.

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

What a lovely space. I am very envious that you have a dedicated space, and am very impressed by the thought that has gone into it's design. Ikea might not always be the prettiest, but it sure does storage well! Enjoy your space. x

Melissa said...

That's a fantastic space, Marilla! Getting new furniture is always fun and IKEA is great for pulling a lot of pieces together into a functional space. I'm sure the space helps your creativity grow even more! Have fun!

Jennie said...

It's a lovely space, Marilla. I need more space to fit in one of those cool Linnmon/Finnvard tables, but hopefully someday I will copy you ;)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks for all the happy comments ladies! I am certainly familiar with the hand me down situation, but I honestly like giving old furniture a new home. I'm slowly learning though that just because someone is getting rid of something doesn't mean it will fit in our house!!! Hoarding tendencies kicking in!

I is very white and I really wanted to be a bit braver with colour, but our house is so dark that this was the best, but most boring option. Glad you all like it too Kate :-)

teridodds said...

Your sewing space is so nice! I love the shelving and the baskets on the wall. If I ever have a sewing space that isn't in the middle of the house I would love to do something like that. I think the fact that it's all white makes it look so neat and clean, too!

Kathryn said...

ooh I love your new sewing space, no wonder you're so happy with it! It all looks so organised and spacious!