Monday, 12 October 2015

Woven sailors top

As I mentioned in the last post, an updated version of my free sailors top pattern was published in Love Sewing magazine this month. One of the updates was to the sleeves and they are a touch wider so that the pattern can be adapted to woven fabrics.

Here is my version! It is made from a very soft and light weight cotton flannel. I would certainly like to emphasise the light weight of the fabric, because I think this pattern would be unsuitable for anything mid-heavy weight. The seams that go across the shoulders may get too bulky and uncomfortable in a heavier woven. Think cotton lawn, double gauze, voile or similar for a successful outcome.


The changes I made compared to the magazine construction was to cut the shoulder gussets on the bias for a shoulder hugging fit and I sewed the neck/shoulder seams on the inside of the garment rather than the outside.


In the magazine I instruct you to sew the seam on the outside and cover it with a decorative tape. You can't really see it in the below picture because it's cream cotton ribbon on a cream stripe, but it's there and it helps to stabilise the jersey.


I simply sewed mine on the inside, over locked and top stitched down.


Of course they weren't the only changes as I added length to the sleeves and the body, but I'm going to shorten the body back to the original pattern guidance as I would prefer it more cropped!


 
So there you have it, a woven sailors top and it's mighty comfy! I really love this check at the moment, don't you?

13 comments:

sewalign said...

Love that this top can be made in a woven fabric as well as in a jersey - double the choice! Its lovely in the check cotton flannel and looks just as good as the striped version.

Louise Perry said...

Fabulous, I like this even more than the Jersey one. Looks so comfy.

Marilla Walker said...

Sewalign - well not everyone likes sewing jersey, so although I didn't really specify wovens in the magazine it's good to have an alternative fabric choice!

Marilla Walker said...

Louise - I like them both for different reasons, but woven fabric does give it a different look I think. I would be less inclined to make this as a straight dress, but would maybe try out the top length with a gathered or pleated skirt attached. Could be very cute! Hmmm...

Melissa said...

*le sigh* I love seeing the Sailors Top. I wish we could get this magazine here (Canada). I will just have to admire from afar! ( One day I will try grading up the free version)

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Melissa, well if you're going to have a go at grading anything then the free sailors top is the one to do it on! It really is just rectangles for the body, so just add on whatever you need to the side and make the triangle shoulder gussets longer so that the top doesn't slide off your shoulders. You can do it!

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

YES! This is so perdfect! I love it so, so much. I actually have a black and white large scale gingham in the stash. I may well be copycat-ing at some point!

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

*perfect :)

Mia said...

I love the shoulder detail! Very simple and thoughtful :)

Mum said...

Rilla this is absolutely lovely - the style, the checks, everything.............I can definitely see me wearing this!

Júlia said...

love the fabric may i ask where did you get it from?

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Julia, the fabric was a bit of a bargain from Walthamstow in London I'm afraid! Not very useful unless you live around there!

Linda said...

Nice top! Love the gingham fabric! I like that you can make it in jersy or woven fabric.