Wednesday, 4 November 2015

New coat for me and maybe for you too!

Hi all, I have made myself a coat!

It's a bit of an experiment really. I just wanted to make a fun shaped coat with loads of room for winter clothes and a generally comfortable cover up. The fabric is a cotton poplin with a coated reverse side for some water resistance (totally untested in the rain as yet).


I started pinning loads of images on a pinterest board for a new coat for myself and below are all the shapes I was naturally drawn to. I guess coming from a textile background I favour volume of fabric over closeness of silhouette to show off all those gorgeous fabrics.




My coat is actually quite restrained in the amount of volume compared with some of the above examples I think, even though it felt really massive after I first made it. I have been wearing it out and about since I made it last week and I love it.



There are some tweaks to make, like the pockets need to be moved a bit further out towards the side seam and the back overlap needs to overlap just a little bit less, but I'm really happy with this make and know I'll get a tonne of wear out of it. Style wise I think it's so much fun and is a little surprise when you spread out your arms. I would probably label this as more of a cape than coat, but one with sleeves!







 There are a few things to note with a style such as this, like you have to choose your handbag wisely! A tote bag will not go on your shoulder, buuuut there are nice big pockets so you could just make use of them instead. Also, the range of movement in the arms is brilliant and there is no restriction what so ever, but if you raise your arms then the whole coat kind of raises like this. I don't see this being a particular issue, but it's something to mention!


I really want to explore this shape a bit further and make a cardigan version from some luscious wool knit I have. Just waiting on the wool binding for it!

I'm not sure what the general consensus from the sewing world would be on this kind of concept, so I'm not going to make it into a saleable pattern, but I am going to tidy up the pattern pieces and make them available for free in the next month or so, probably with minimal instructions though.

Anyway, what do you think? Do you think this looks interesting or scary?

Last thing I want to add on is my new pyjamas! I've already shown you the velvet jacket, but here's my two new sets which are currently making me very happy. Baggy and comfy and don't warrant a whole post, but I'm popping them on here anyway :-)

The blue batwing top is a thin, but stable loop back jersey from the cloth house and the bright print bottoms a Liberty cord off ebay. The cord is so soft, but so thin! Perfect for PJ's. The striped Lark is made from a thick-ish cotton jersey and the Navy bottoms a double faced brushed cotton (it's black on the reverse). I have up until now been surviving with very few options, which kind of makes no sense seeing's as I get changed out of my day clothes at about 6 o'clock every day! Below are links to the patterns I used ;-)




Named Blair batwing, Tilly and the Buttons Margot pyjama bottoms and Grainline Lark tee.

26 comments:

janet said...

what a chic coat! I can't wait for the pattern release. I want to try it out! thank you! Last week, I was kicking myself for missing out on your freemantle, but now I see that you've restocked it. yay!

Louise Perry said...

Cool coat, it definitely makes a statement. Love the Jim jams too, they look very comfy.

kathleen said...

I absolutely adore this cote - practical and chic. I'd love a chance to make up a version of my own!

sewalign said...

This is a fab coat, Marilla, and a most interesting design. Love the batwing sleeves and the tulip shaped hem at the back!

Melissa said...

Marilla, this is another winning make!

notsewsimple said...

I love a coat you can throw on over anything - perfect for covering up big jumpers and sweatshirts in winter. If I can find the right fabric I would love to try this.
I particularly like the overlapping layers at the back!

Louise

Sewingsu said...

Love the coat especially the back - so unusual! Jim jams look snazzy to!!

Caroline said...

Everything is awesome here in Marilla Walker world! Love the coat - you should def release as a pattern when you get a chance.

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks ladies for all the positive comments! I'm really looking forward to making this available now. I still have doubts as to whether anyone will actually make this up, but it's a really fun style and sometimes it's nice to put something out there without all the stress and hours involved in releasing a pattern for sale. It will of course be one size only (I think I forgot to mention that bit), but it should be suitable for a wide range of sizes.

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

I love this coat. It's so different to anything else I've seen. I was unsure when you'd mentioned a batwing coat on IG, but I think this is gorgeous, and very wearable. I love the details too, like the shorter zip and the cross over back.

Gillian said...

What a fun shape! I really admire that you play and experiment with design as well as working on more saleable patterns. That must be good for your creativity and happiness! :)

Sarah said...

What a smashing coat! I love the shape and that back overlap reminds me of tulip petals :)

Marilla Walker said...

Yes Sarah, definitely some tulip vibes going on there!

Marilla Walker said...

Right on the nail Gillian! Need to keep playing to make it fun! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I would definitely make that coat! I love it - I have an ancient Gudrin Sjoden coat which is a similar outline, but it is falling apart and I cannot bear to throw out...! x

The Wardrobe Project said...

I love this coat! Such an interesting shape! You reminded me that I have to make more pyjama sets as well! Love your sets!

em makes patterns said...

I love this coat! I'm definitely going to give it a go (although I will have to wait till next year as apparently it's almost summer here in Sydney - although it's as drizzly as London!) It is incredibly generous of you to offer it as a free pattern! Wooohooo can't wait!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh great to hear that some of you may actually make it! Ah, I'm not sure it's that generous really. I'd drafted it for myself anyway, so it's really just making the pattern available. I may make another one in denim, but a bit less detailed that you can all sew along to (or at least refer back to).

Sewing with Purpose and Repurpose said...

OO I really like the shape of this coat too! I would definitely give it a try! I will have to think on how to make it a bit more Canadian-winter proof, I do have some quilted batting in my stash which could make for a warm lining

Gemma Samanta said...

I love the look of this coat, would definately be keen to make this is you did ever put out a pattern. Lovely shape at the back and practical looking. Still trying to find time to make my roberts dress yet but I will get there soon

Sonja said...

What a fun coat! You look awesome!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Sonja! I think I wrote on one of your posts I wanted to make a rain coat this winter and I guess this is it! I've worn it alot, but turns out water repellent fabric is really warm!

Marilla Walker said...

Oh and another goal was denim trousers, which I can safely say I have fulfilled with my dungarees. I can now sleep well knowing I've fulfilled my winter sewing goals! :-)

Kathryn said...

Your coat looks so good! I love the shape of the back & the batwing sleeves. Your pyjamas look fab too, I really need to make some new ones too!

Someone said...

I really dig this coat pattern. You have an idea as to when you are planning to put the coat pattern out?

Marilla Walker said...

Hopefully in the next six months or so! :-)