Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Bobble mittens

They are the same size despite the wonky picture...

I knitted some nice warm mittens. If you follow me on Instagram then you have probably already seen these, but I thought I would have a stab at sharing my pattern or at least an explanation of how I made them. I really like knitting mittens from scratch and if you are going to attempt writing your own knitting pattern for anything then these are a great place to start in my opinion. If you look at a basic mitten (like I have knitted) then it is essentially a tube with a closed end and a thumb. Open out that tube and it's a rectangle and what's more simple than working out a rectangle???


I have in the past been drawn to knitting colour work mittens, so this is my first single colour pair believe it or not and they were a real pleasure to knit!

I thought I would share my pattern notes on the construction of these in an informal way as I have no experience at writing knitting patterns and nor do I assume that I construct my  knitting in the most logical manner, so here goes!

BOBBLE MITTENS SIZE M/L

These were knit in the round and I used a DK yarn and 3.25mm dpns for a dense warm fabric. I knitted on 4 needles, but you may prefer to use 5.

Stitch count is 12 stitches and 17 rows to a 5cm square.

How to make the bobbles (charted as black squares) - knit 1, purl 1, knit 1 into a single stitch. Purl across these 3 stitches. Knit these 3 stitches together.

Cast on 44 stitches and distribute evenly across the dpns. Insert a stitch marker at the beginning of the first round and knit 2 x 2 rib for 12 rounds.

Main hand is to be knit referring to the below instructions as well as the chart.
  • Rounds 1-5 - knit plain stockinette
  • Round 6 - plain stockinette with bobbles (black squares)
  • Rounds 7-11 - knit plain stockinette
  • Round 12 - plain stockinette with bobbles (black squares)
continue following the chart as above until round 30.
  • Round 30 - plain stockinette with bobbles for first 22 stitches and place next 8 stitches onto a holding needle (safety pin), cast on 8 stitches and knit remaining 14 stitches to end of round. *For left hand knit first 22 stitches as stated above, knit 14 stitches and then hold the remaining 8 stitches for thumb and cast on 8 stitches.
An alternative thumb placement method I came across is the after thought thumb. I haven't tried it, but it looks really good and means you don't need to hold or cast on stitches for the thumb opening. Check out this tutorial and if you want to give it a go. 

Continue following chart until round 60.
  • Round 60 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 16, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 16, knit 2 together, knit 1.
  • Round 61 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 14, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 14, knit 2 together, knit 1.
  • Round 62 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 12, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 12, knit 2 together, knit 1.
  • Round 63 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 10, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 10, knit 2 together, knit 1.
  • Round 64 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 8, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 8, knit 2 together, knit 1.
  • Round 65 - knit 1 slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 6, knit 2 together, knit 2, slip next stitch onto right hand needle, knit 1 and pass slipped stich over. Knit 6, knit 2 together, knit 1.
cast off remaining 20 stitches, turn inside out and stitch bottom edge closed.


Knit the thumb

Place the 8 stitches from the holding needle (safety pin) onto a dpn and pick up the 8 cast on stitches as well as 2 stitches either side of the thumb opening. You should have 20 stitches in total. Distribute stitches evenly across your dpns.

Rounds 1-22 - knit plain stockinette stitch
Round 23 - (knit 2 together, knit 3) repeat to end
Round 24 - (knit 2 together, knit 2) repeat to end
Round 25 - (knit 2 together, knit 1) repeat to end
Round 26 - (knit 2 together) repeat to end

Break off yarn and thread through remaining 4 stitches to cast off. Pull thread tight and pull through to inside the thumb with a crochet hook or needle and tie off.



Weave in any ends and block if desired!

 Ok, so a major caveat is that this pattern is my own personal pattern and completely untested!!! KNIT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! I did not knit from this as I was just making it up as I went along and then copied the first to knit the second (no notes). I hope that this all makes sense and if nothing else the charts are pretty useful!


The ribbing does not go down to the natural wrist joint, but if you would like the ribbing to extend down further then substitute some of the main hand for ribbed rows.




Anyway, I hope you like them and if you do give them a go then give me a shout! If you don't want bobbles then this formula would also work with just plain stockinette or some fancy colour work...

8 comments:

Jo H. said...

Who does not want bobbles??! These are gorgeous, I'm going to investigate my dk leftovers RIGHT NOW!

Marilla Walker said...

Bobbles 'r' us :-)

Meg said...

Very cute!

Claire said...

I love the combination of the white and multicolored yarns!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Meg ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Claire, long time no see! I hope you have more knitting to show us on your blog soon (if you've got time of course) xxx

Amelia Wray said...

These are lovely! I'll definitely be giving your pattern a go!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks Amelia! Give me a shout if something doesn't make sense :-)