Sunday, 24 January 2016

new hat and mittens set

Still knit, knit, knitting!!!


This time I have knitted a complete knitted hat and mittens set, which have been mainly improvised. I say mainly because the amount of stitches I cast on for the hat was taken from The craft sessions, very timely, recent publication of some pattern notes for a simple hat. After the ribbing however I went completely awol and made it up as I went along. I'll publish my pattern notes on Ravelry at some point!

Obviously I have recently finished a hat and some mittens, but I have since gifted them to a better home. I love knitting colourwork and I really enjoyed the mix of yarns in the mittens, but they are not really me. What I want to wear and what I like to knit are two different things sometimes and after some deep analysis I realised all I really wanted was a plain set in my favourite colour. As far as the style of hat is concerned the epistrophied is just too long in the body. I can't figure out slouchy hats and feel I have to poke and tweak my hair to make it look and feel ok. I don't like hats that require this amount of effort and my thick hair does require some kind of prodding to feel comfy in a hat. This one I have just finished is short in the body and close fitting to my head and just kind of plonks on and looks ok with no tweaks!


Plus it looks better with glasses which is something else I seem to struggle with.


I don't think I'll be needing to knit accessories again for a while, but I shall detail everything I need to know for next time on ravelry as it would be good to just have a go to basic pattern for aran weight yarn (which is what I've used). The mittens are actually not any different really than my recent bobble mitts other than the amount of stitches and rows is a lot less due to the bulkier weight.


Anyway, I hope you like my new wooly things and it's been a great excuse to take some better pics of my sew over it vintage shirt dress as the ones I published at Christmas were pretty lame. Love this dress!

I shall leave you with this shot of the back of my head to show the nice decreases and hope you are all staying warm! Happy Sunday! xxx

14 comments:

Louise Perry said...

Great colour looks great on you. I love mittens much more than gloves. Your dress is gorgeous too.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Louise! Mittens just slip on so easily don't they? The colour and yarn is my favourite, but I'm down to one last ball so this may be it for now...

Pippa Knight said...

These look lovely. I do have to admit that sometimes basic is much better, one colour goes with a lot more things I find.
I am not really one for slouchy hats but I do like them to be able to come down over my ears fully to keep them warm.
ps the dress looks fantastic.

Bellbird said...

Really nice! I absolutely love your epistrophied (?) hat and I think it looks wonderful on you so I hope that you do get to wear it! I agree that slouchy hats can feel weird but I'm trying to embrace the slouch in my hats as I quite like the look.

Marilla Walker said...

Hi pippa, I totally get the hat past the ears thing. I do think that maybe this hat is a few rows short of being perfect, but then once a hat goes too close to my ears my glasses become annoying. Luckily my hair covers my ears, so I think I'll survive ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Hi bella, the epistropheid hat has already been passed on to my good friend Jenna so is no longer with me. Honestly I would never wear it as it feels too odd (I'm clearly not one of life's hat wearers). I love the look of it, but I kind of feel like I need to look in a mirror to put it on which is not something that I normally have a chance to do. I'll just admire them on all you other lovely ladies instead! :-)

pootleandmake said...

Gorgeous dress, it looks comfy too. Shame your hat didn't work for you but it went to a good home.

Rilla's Mum said...

Rilla, this is the nicest hat so far and really suits you. It reminds me of one, I made when I was a young girl - funny, I forgot, I used to knit my own made up patterns................anyway, I have always loved hats myself and did wear the ones I made (some of them were really odd looking, but thats what made them such fun)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks pootle and make and I don't feel bad about the hat. I'd feel worse looking at it knowing I would never wear it! ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks mum! xxx

Heather Gibson said...

I love this dress and it looks great with your new woolly things too! Such a great shade of orange!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks heather! Seriously I am crazy about orange and am actually convinced it goes with every other colour!

gingermakes.com said...

So lovely! You're a superstar knitter!

Marilla Walker said...

Ha ha thanks sonja, although the knitting's definitely slowing down as the sewing bug is kicking back in!