Saturday, 16 January 2016

Winter sewing - new Freemantle coat and Roberts things

I have had the urge to sew a coat for a few months now. I have been searching and searching for a pattern and ideas and have even bought a couple of patterns (Named Isla and Harriet), but nothing was quite hitting the mark. I cut and started sewing a Harriet lumber jacket after I purchased the pattern in the Christmas advent sale, but was just not feeling it somehow. I love the style and the details, but I took a break from it and didn't feel like going back. I think it was the fabric that I had gone off rather than the pattern. I was also planning on making a corduroy Isla Trench after I found this bargain jumbo cord from My fabrics, but then wondered if the silhouette is a bit too long and narrow for me. Finally my lovely internet sewing friend Karin made a second version of my Freemantle sewing pattern in a sweater knit and I almost slapped myself. I NEEDED another Freemantle!!!


I have made this pattern up so many times now in sweater knits, cotton twill, wool and I still really love sewing those weird underarm gussets!

This version is made up as view A with no mods to the style other than to grade from size 4 at the underarm to 6 at the hem to accurately reflect my bust and hip measurements. My pattern samples are a straight size 4 and a bit smaller than I'd like on the bottom half.


 It's been great to get back up close and personal with this pattern, as it's helped me to reconnect with it. It's hard sometimes to not feel an emotional connection with my work. What can I say, I'm only human after all! :-P

The cord has worked so well in this instance and it's got a real traditional feel with the plaid lining and leather buttons, but a modern silhouette. It's adequately reflecting my mood and style influences right now.



Some close up detail of buttons and perfectly aligned welts and things...



I had sort of forgotten about this pattern after I announced I was discontinuing it from sale last year. I took it off sale and then was surprised to be getting requests for it to come back! I honestly didn't know anyone had even noticed it as it's never sold that well and doesn't have a big internet presence in terms of finished makes, so I relisted it for the people that were requesting to buy it. I know you shouldn't back track, but I'm really pleased I did and making it up again has been an absolute joy! I did not underline it as instructed, but instead chose to do a lining effect using this method which encloses all the seam allowances. Now go and visit my pin board and ask me why I wouldn't have thought to make a Freemantle coat? ;-)

Apart from that, some other weather appropriate clothes I've been sewing for myself are from my Roberts collection.

Some corduroy dungarees which are the warmest, most comfy thing ever! The cord has stretch in it, so these are super duper comfy, but have the added thing of coming out slightly larger than I wanted. oh well!!!





This next jumpsuit is made out of a bleached denim and it's great for now, but will also be pretty handy come spring when I never know what to wear between it getting warmer, but not that warm!


Not much to say on the Roberts bits other than I wear all of it all the time. TRUTH!

I hope you're all having a good weekend and I wonder if I will ever make a coat again that is not khaki... xxx


20 comments:

Melissa said...

Marilla, you look adorable in those makes. I think the Freemantle is a classic. I haven't made any coats yet but if I get onto a coat making groove, I think I would like a Freemantle coat. My grandma had a coat very similar to that and I had loved it as I got to wear it for a while. Not sure what became of it. I have yet to sew with corduroy and your outfits have inspired me that I should have that on my fabric wishlist!

Keep cozy!

Ginny said...

Oooh, thanks so much for the Freemantle inspiration Marilla! I'm one of those who messaged you asking to purchase the Freemantle just after you discontinued it. I'm so eager to make it, but wasn't finding fabric that excited me. However, your corduroy version has me enthused about using a few yards of wide wale red corduroy that has been lingering in my stash for ages. :D!

I'm loving your corduroy dungarees and wondering if I'm a bit too old to wear that style --- but I'd sure like to try!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Melissa, I think that actually the fabric really makes the coat with this pattern. Bold patterns or just good quality and texture seem to shine given the simplicity of the shape. Oh that must have been so lovely to beable to wear your grandmas coat! I love how close textiles can make you feel to the person you remember! Cord is a funny fabric really. It goes in and out of fashion, but I never stop liking it. It's so rich and tactile.

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks for contacting me Ginny, you helped to revive my love for this pattern! Cord is such a great choice because it's reasonably priced and has a good structure to it on the chunkier examples. It's a much less risky option to play with I think. Let me know if you make it so I can come and have a nosey ;-)

karin said...

You look wonderful in these! Glad you and the freemantle rekindled your spark!

sewalign said...

Your corduroy garments look wonderful! I am a fan of corduroy, having made a pinafore dress, apron dress and culottes in this fabric, although I do prefer the softer/lighter weight corduroy with some stretch - so warm and comfy!

Louise Perry said...

Great makes. The coat shines, such a modern shape. I love your Roberts collection. Those thin straps make it for me.

Marilla Walker said...

All thanks to you Karin! ;-) xxx

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks Sewalign, the cord for the dungarees definitely feels more sumptuous with the slight stretch in it. It's very strokable :-)

Marilla Walker said...

Ah, thanks Louise! Xxx

Heather Gibson said...

I love love love your green FreeMantle - it's perfect with the plaid lining and the leather buttons. I really need to attack the Roberts collection soon.

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks heather, I should have known you'd appreciate the plaid! ;-) xxx

jane said...

hello! love your freemantle! seeing it and Karin's sweater version has really gotten me wanting to try it too! I love my robert's jumpsuit and was considering a pale denim-ish one...so it's fun to see yours all sewn up and cute! thank you so much for sharing your patterns! in case you'd like to see my jumpsuit, it's here: http://janejojulia.weebly.com/blog/made-jumpsuit

thanks again! :)

Rilla's Mum said...

I have commented on your dungarees in the past but, they just look so adorable on you. Loving the corduroy ones especially - they look great for mooching about and so comfortable! Coat looks lovely too...............but guessing I am prejudiced!

Marilla Walker said...

Hey jane, thanks so much! Really glad you liked the Roberts pattern, off to have a nosey now! ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks mum, now I can dress like Maria ;-)

Kathryn said...

Your coat looks brilliant, so cosy!! I just love all your Roberts Collection makes - I thought i'd never make dungarees/pinafore but I'm changing my mind now!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks Kathryn! x

Sonja said...

That coat!!!! Love it!!!!!!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Sonja and the flannel insides make it feel like wearing a blanket. Been wearing it non-stop!!!