Thursday, 19 May 2016

new Bennett dress pattern

Well yes I have released another pattern so soon! I started working on this a while ago and really wanted to get it finished in time for the warm weather, holidays, weddings etc... Let's start with some pictures!
The bennet dress is essentially a pull on A-line shift dress with princess seams on the front to create a nicely fitted shape across the shoulders. Depending on which view you choose to make the silhouette can either show off your curves or be left loose and free flowing.

Both views have a centre front panel, which can be left plain or buttoned depending on your preference, but view A has additional waist ties sewn in with the panel to pull the shape in and tie around the back of the dress. View A is also a slightly longer length finishing below the knee. Something that is important to me, as I am not so keen on my knees!

The sample shown here is sewn in a glorious silk/cupro mix and has the perfect flowy drape to be gathered in. You want to stick to nice soft viscose, silks or maybe a cotton lawn so as to not add too much bulk around your middle.
 View B finishes a little shorter above the knee, but not too short (you can obviously adjust this to your preference). It needs to be at least above the knee if you are going to leave the shape loose for it to remain playful and fun. I have used a fairly stiff linen here (hand printed) and the shape can take it, but it obviously sticks out more, so if you prefer less structure stick to flowy fabrics!
So excited to get this out there and I hope you like it! As always, it is available to buy in my shop here.

14 comments:

Meg said...

Very pretty, and I love the V-back!

Heather Gibson said...

I love it Marilla!! Both versions are amazing!

Sarah Randt said...

I love this pattern, Marilla!

sewalign said...

Marilla, this is a gorgeous pattern. Well done!

Radostin said...

Wonderful! And this does show excellently, just how much effect the fabric choice can have. So brilliant of you to have made a pattern that works in such diverse ways.

kalimak said...

Congratulations, Marilla! What a lovely new pattern. I'm really loving view A. The color you chose for your dress in view A is gorgeous, too!

I like the bold and minimalist print in your view B dress as well, though that one is an example of what I admire on others but probably wouldn't wear myself. But never say never -- very inspiring!

justmejay said...

Love both views of this so much. Just as well we're going into winter or I would be breaking my MMMay pledge not to buy any new patterns this month! (However, long term resistance will be futile - is it June 1 yet?)

Marilla Walker said...

Ah thanks so much everyone for your lovely comments! The terracotta colour is mone of my absolute faves and I almost didn't buy this fabric!!! Madness!

Yes, you can definitely see how much of a difference the structure of the fabric makes. Really important to consider before cutting.

Justmejay - Good pledge! This pattern (and all patterns) are going absolutely nowhere... ;-)

Kathryn Pritchard said...

Love the rust colored one.

cmg said...

I love this. The bottom dress in a marimekko-like print is exactly what I want to wear all summer.

Helen said...

Love both of these, but particularly the more fitted version. They are both perfect summer dresses! X

Kathryn said...

What a gorgeous pattern Marilla! I love both your versions of it shown here and the striped one on your Instagram.

Jane said...

Clever design! I suspect I will be drawn to making this before too long! Hmm I am thinking it might layer quite nicely tunic-style for winter, too :)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Jane and exactly my thinking! ;-)