Monday, 6 June 2016

Mercury lounge trousers

Are they pyjamas or are they summer trousers? Not sure as I will probably wear these in the garden as well as in the evenings on the sofa, but for now I'm calling these my new lounge trousers.


I made some new bottoms not that long ago with the T&TB Margot pattern here, but apparently (although lovely and soft) corduroy wears at the knees pretty quickly! I shall obviously perform some surgery on them, but I felt like I needed a new pair of bottoms...enter the Mercury pattern!

I made this pair in a lovely indigo and red block print cotton. It feels so soft and comfy I could wear these all day. I made up view D of the trousers minus the hem and waist pleats. Instead I did a double turned 1cm bottom hem and cut a new front waistband the finished (unpleated) width for a fully elasticated waist. The best bit about these are that they have pockets!!! I didn't realise how much I need pockets in everything I wear.


This style is so baggy that they are kind of perfect for lounging around in.



I finished the waist band different to the instructions. I sewed the front and back waistband together at the side seams, encased the elastic (already sewn in a loop) within the waistband and pinned the bottom edge. I then sewed the bottom edge with a 1cm allowance. With the elastic fully encased I then pinned the waistband to the top of the trousers and stitched it on followed by a quick turn on the over locker to finish the raw edges. Because I used a smaller seam allowance there was some room at the top of the waistband so I did a row of stitching about half a centimetre from the top edge being mindful not to catch the elastic in my stitching. It gives a nice tidy finish and seems to keep the elastic place.


There you have it! New summer trousers/PJ bottoms.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

It's always great to find comfy pants, Marilla! I like the Mercury and by some fluke my first pair was really wide on me on the front waistband and I just changed it so I put a full elastic on all around while maintaining the darts that were already sewn in place. I am sure I will make more of those trousers to come and I agree - pockets in everything!

rosylea said...

I'm wearing my second pair at this moment and really enjoying them. They are very customisable and I love the way they hang - I think they may be this year's summer trousers.

sewalign said...

This trouser pattern is so versatile - loungewear too! I will make the trousers this summer without the hem pleats.

Clare Bowen said...

Oh my I've only just found you on ig and now I've seen this I think we are roughly the same sizing!! Tho you maybe taller ? I'm 5ft!?? I can't wait to start buying your patterns my bday is 22 June and with my bday money I plan on buying patterns and seeing you're a normal gal I can't wait!! X

Marilla Walker said...

Melissa - I feel lost without pockets!!! ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Rosylea - That's so cool and I'm glad you have enjoyed using the pattern! x

Marilla Walker said...

Sewalign - Haven't stopped wearing them all week in the evenings. If you can't wear baggy trousers in the comfort of your own home then where can you? ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Claire - Glad to meet you! I am definitely taller 5ft 5", so you may need to shorten the legs quite a lot. Happy birthday for the 22nd! x