Friday, 23 September 2016

Finished coat - Vintage Vogue 9939

All finished and I am a bit sad about that as it was a really enjoyable make, but then I am also really happy to have something for the new season and finished ahead of actually needing to wear it. A rarity!

It was such an easy make really. It took time because of all the hand sewing, but there was no fitting because I already new I liked the fit from a previous make and it does not require loads of different interfacings or interior structure. I added interfacing to the centre fronts and collar as instructed and hand sewed it in place rather than heat set it, but that was it! When I hand sew the majority of a garment or thing like this I tend to keep going with it, so although my interfacing had a gluey side, I chose not to fuse it. Crazy huh?


There are more close up detail shots in this post and notes about the length of the coat, but this finished length is what I shortened it to. It finishes below most of my dresses which I like and has retained the feel from the original illustration (I think).


Not much else to say really. I added a pretty cool inside pocket, which I can show in more detail if anyone's interested!




The lining is all sewn in by hand, which I love doing. It is satisfying to get everything sitting exactly where I want it with no pulls or dragging. The lining is a dark brown slinky twill satin. Probably synthetic, but I can't remember. It's possible it may contain viscose, but who knows...



I haven't pressed anything on this coat (apart from the lining). The under collar on the back looks as though it's rolling back, but everything else is laying fine, so I think I shall probably leave it! Also the bottom hem is looking a bit soft in these pictures like it could do with a gentle press, so I may just do that. All seam allowances are sewn down flat and haven't been pressed.


I opted for the fastening as suggested in the pattern which is just at the collar. Well it says loop and button, but a hook and eye is pretty much the same. I think I will add one at waist height, but on the inside of the coat too so it doesn't flap about in the wind, but I do like this simple finish.




Anyway, that's it from me and all set for the cold weather! The olive colour is not really represented in these photos very well, but it basically goes with everything in my wardrobe. As for the boiled wool itself, it seems the perfect texture for a coat like this (although required underlining). I'm unsure how it will wear as it looks prone to bobbling. If anyone has experience with this fabric then please share.

Thanks for following along with me and happy winter sewing! xxx


20 comments:

Sew nuts said...

Really cute and such a great color!

Crab and Bee said...

I'm still loving those top-stitched darts, especially on the finished coat. Congratulations on finishing your beautiful project! I'm sewing a ton of trousers right now but hope to be sewing outerwear soon... we'll see :)

Helen said...

This is gorgeous! I love the colour and all the little details. Looks pretty perfect to me!!!

Louise Perry said...

Gorgeous, now enjoy wearing it!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks sew nuts (real name unknown ;-)). The colour is different, but also very versatile I think! :-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Morgan! I'm still so happy about the darts even though you guys are the only ones who will truly appreciate them! ;-) I wish I could justify more outerwear as I love sewing it, but really can't which is sad. I hope you get round to making something this winter. I so enjoyed your coat progress last year!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Helen! As with everything it is not quite perfect, but then that's what we do to ourselves isn't it? I shall just refrain from pointing out any imperfections to regular non-sewing people! ;-)

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Louise and I will! Xxx

Jessy said...

Really exquisite! I love everything about this coat. That dinosaur-spiked inside pocket is absolutely brilliant. I'm glad you have decided to press the hem a little, too, it will be even better. It looks wonderful on you. What an exciting thing to have made!

Claire said...

This coat is so gorgeous! Makes me feel inspired to try a second round of coat making.

BarbaraShowell said...

I love it! Strong resemblance to one of my Mom's best coats (circa 1965 or so) that she wore to church every Sunday, except hers had a fabulous fur collar that I loved to stroke, stroke stroke til she'd make me stop.

sewalign said...

A beautiful coat! It really looks vintage especially with the fab collar. Love the oversized pockets. Great work.

Fabric Tragic said...

Great colour! I've a dressing gown I made from boiled wool and it's at least fifteen years old and not a pill in site so fingers crossed for your lovely coat!

Louise said...

Beautiful Marilla,you have made me look again at vintage wear. I see a calling for knitted long gloves on the menu, and it goes great with the new boots x

Marilla Walker said...

Hi jessy, thanks so much and yes the hem definitely needs doing! It's the little things that matter when you've spent time making something, so it would be a shame to just leave it at this point! ;-) x

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Claire and I highly recommend having another go! Certainly something good to get stuck in to!

Marilla Walker said...

Ah, that's so lovely Barbara! Check out vintage coat patterns on eBay for similar! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thank you sewalign! X

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks fabric tragic (Sarah)! Good to know about the fabric as I have never really worked with anything like this before. Maybe I'll post an update at the end of winter if how the cost has fared!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Louise and I really do think that vintage patterns have a lot to offer! Sometimes the sizing can differ greatly from modern proportions, but these looser shapes are so easy! Have long gloves ready and waiting! ;-)