Sunday, 27 August 2017

Floral maxi skirt

Hey hey, it's me again just one week since my last post!!!

This time I have made a skirt and it is self drafted, but dead easy.


I found this fabulous floral print cotton on ebay a few weeks ago and had to cut into it straight away. I bought 3 metres and used pretty much all of it in this skirt.


Ok, so it's self drafted so you can't have the pattern, but you can make one if you have a little experience with drafting or altering patterns! Just pop on over to the BHL website and use their awesome circle skirt app to get some waistband measurements and you're off!

I split mine into 7 panels (divide half circle into 8 panels and join 2 of these together for centre back panel) as per below.



Here it is all joined and laid out on the floor.



I created some pockets that get sewn in with the front side panels (which are a little too low unfortunately, oops!)...


and also a centre front button placket. How awesome are these buttons by the way? I have been ordering buttons from Textile Garden for some time now as Maggie has the most beautiful selection. I always seem to find the perfect match in her shop!


The skirt is so swishy and comfortable and I made the back waistband elasticated for some leeway when it comes to comfort and fit.


Not much else to say really. I French seamed everything for a quality finish and I am loving having a colourful floral print in my wardrobe.



8 comments:

Caroline said...

I absolutely LOVE this skirt Marilla. The fabric is very Marimekko-esque and those buttons indeed are a perfect match! It is a shame the pockets are a little too low - it's so annoying when sewing related things like that happen ; ( Can you open the side seams a little to add a band of fabric on the top of the pocket?

Kathryn said...

This is such a gorgeous skirt Marilla. I hadn't seen it till Caroline mentioned it but yes I can see a marimekko influence in the design of the fabric. I love the big pockets & the button band. Did you make your top too? It's lovely!

Marilla Walker said...

Hey Caroline and Kathryn, I am loving the Marimekko reference. I had not thought that, but the scale is pretty generous like their prints! A bit oral Kiely meets Marimekko? The pockets still finction so aren't a total loss, just a bit annoying ;-)

The top was from Topshop many, many, many, many years ago. They used to have them in loads of colours so I bought a few and they have washed and lasted really well. Sadly this is probably due to the polyester content...

Thanks for stopping by ladies xxx

Fabric Tragic said...

I agree with Caroline, it's got a real marimekko vibe! Love it, and those buttons are beyond perfect!

Marilla Walker said...

Thanks Sarah and the buttons are such beauties. Granted they are a bit lost from a distance, but a nice surprise when you get closer!

Anna Dorothy said...

Hi Marilla!! Love seeing your knitted tank top and this skirt! I've missed your blog posts and I am not on Instagram so it's nice to see you posting more! Looking forward to your new patterns coming out. I am actually wearing an Isley skirt right now and went to the park with my kids and said to myself "I need to make another one of these!". I was thinking in silk crepe de chine for a fancier feel. Do you think that'd work? The hem curved gem may be tricky in thag though. Hmm.

Anna Dorothy said...

Whoops sorry for typos..on my phone. Last sentence should say the curved hem may be tricky in that though. 😉

Marilla Walker said...

Hi Anna, thanks so much. I do miss my blog. I will still try and post when I have something to show, but I haven't had much to show lately. Silk would be gorgeous. Maybe try a bias faced hem or even level out the hem to make life easier? x